Friday, November 26, 2004

Thanksgiving orders

Today was interesting. I worked with Bridget and K and it actually was pretty fun at times, although I was frustrated, since I like to just get it all done and they both meander through things and we had a ton of stuff to do. But K had a two for one coupon for a double cheesebhburger at Tasty Dog and she let me have one, so at least I ate something besides bread. She brought beers as well and seemed sorry to learn that I didn’t drink beer and said she would have gotten something else if she had known. All in all, it was the friendliest we had ever been, comeraderie fueled by the desperateness of our situation, since we had so many things to get done.

Bridget was wearing a blue and yellow SpongeBob shirt and had her hair dyed a perfect blue to match with sparkly eyeliner a shade lighter and yellow shoes. She looked great, really, sort of like a giant angelfish that you see at the aquarium. She was pretty terrible at cutting onions, but most people are, and most people don’t have to cut nine pounds at one time either.Her taking breaks and whimpering about it was sort of getting on my nerves, but really she was so funny when she is doing it that I didn't mind much. At one point she took a plastic bread bag and fitted it over the top of her head so it covered her eyes to protect them from the onions, and she looked just like she had a giant condom over her blue hair.

Jeff even showed up towards the end when most of it was done and I was mopping the floor.Mopping is really an interesting job in a way- there is a lot more to doing a good job of it than most people would think.

In my mundane way, I now feel this internal connection to school custodians and late night cleaning crews everywhere and I want to nod to them as they mop and squeeze out the water through the wringer in the ubsiquious yellow plastic bucket and make some sort of secret mopper's sign- 'brother, I feel your pain; the determanation to get that last stubborn raisin stuck to the floor up without having to actually bend down for it'.

In spite of a descision that this is not the sum of your life, you do WANT to get the raisin, you WANT to do a good job on it and it is maddening when others don’t. Kyle, whom I like a great deal, is a rotton mopper. I can always tell when he has mopped out the kitchen because his heart is not in it, and even though I cant exactly say that MY heart is in the mopping, in a way I don’t like it that he doesn’t do a better job.


So in the guise of being nice, I finally took over the onions from Bridget, since she had a huge pile of unevenly chopped onions all leaking awful painful stink into the air and I wanted it to just get the fuck done already instead of her taking little mini-breaks to ease her eyes or whatever. I didn’t want to be the boss of her or anything- its just that I knew how to do it quickly and as painlessly as possible from cooking school, and she didn’t. I showed her how I was going to cut them and explained why it would make it easier, but I always feel awkward trying to show the highschool girls any of that stuff- as if I am being all obnoxious and 'I know best', etc. I hope she didn’t feel like that- I just thought it might come in handy if she had to chop onions again, that's all.

But anyway, I finished them off and then cleaned the board with vinagar and later on in the car driving home realized that I had spent the remainder of the night with dark raccooon circles of mascara under my eyes from it. Thanks for mentioning it,ladies… But I swept and mopped and did the coffees and sliced and bagged all the production bread and chopped onions … It was good to be busy and I surely need the money, but … damn. Im tired now and I need to go to sleep because I have to be in tomorrow around six or half past.

It's just that I am tired but not sleepy and Banjo the evil kitten is rushing around making his high pitched querying sad meow and wreaking havoc noisily and bothering Merle and knocking stuff over, but I havent got the heart to shut him into the bathroom just yet.

And W isnt here. I know that its nice of J to keep him the extra night and I hope he wasn’t pissed about taking him to school tomorrow morning, but … I just miss him when he isnt here. It feels as if he ought to be, and I suppose J feels the same when he is with me, but- I don’t know. I just feel like he ought to be WITH me more and I hate working six days a week and having to take him to his grandmother's on Thursday night.Friday all day was bad enough- but it makes me sound whiney to say this, because if she wasn’t watching him I would be screwed at the moment, work-wise.

Must get paperwork filed and must get all that info going. Must find new, real, successful, reasonably lucritive job. But how to do that, when I barely have the energy to get the laundry done on my one day off?

Wow- what a bitchy, whiney bakerygirl I have been today. Hopefully I will have happier stories for tomorrow.

Xxxooo, bakerygirl

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home