Thursday, December 09, 2004

In Case I've Been Too Bitchy...

In case I've been too bitchy a bakerygirl and given the impression that everyone who comes into the bakery is a nasty idiot, I would like to take a moment to give some recognition to all the NICE people who come in so often and make my day a little more pleasant. I know I wont name you all here, but this is a sampling...

The lady who turns 75 this week with the lovely white hair. You used to work for the FBI and you come in every week for two bottles of juice and two cinnamon rolls that you take to a friend who is housebound. You are always charming and interesting to talk to, and today you said that you didnt want to live too long- just as long as you could get around and be the way you were, although you felt old today. M'am- you are the kind of old we should all hope to get.

The nice Indian man who wears the black fedora hat. You are always pleasant to me and ask how I am as if you are really interested. You are going home to India for the holidays and seem so happy about it- I really want you to have a great trip and tell me about it when you return.

Spirit from Texas. You are just so friendly and cool and charming. You have a son only a little older than mine and I think I could really be friends with you. Seeing you always makes everyone in the bakery have a better morning. I also dig it that your hair is so short.

The Carabou Coffee people who sneak over to buy themselves muffins- solidarity brothers and sisters! We like Holiday Lattes over here too, so its a fair deal.

All the women who work for SBC up the street. On the day your managers made you wear the horribly unattractive, ill-fitting marroon, white and green striped golf shirts, I felt your pain. It was weird seeing all of you coming in all morning in the same clothes though. But you are all always polite, pleasant and tidy, even when you are in a hurry.

The tall black guy from the office next door. You are hands down the Best Dressed Man who visits the bakery. Seriously, every day you just look really great and really comfortable no matter what you have on. You are our fashion guru at the bakery.

The Raspberry Muffin Guy. You are just always SO cheerful and funny and you LOVE the raspberry muffins so much without being a freak about them. Thank you for that.

The very petite blonde woman with the stylish coats. You always want a certain coffee and are never mean to me if we run out of it when you come in. Thank you.

The construction workers from the building crew across the street. You all flirt with us and call me honey and are just generally sweet and fun to joke around with.

The two mexican guys who do maitenance at the condos on the other side of us and come in to heat up your lunches in our microwave. You are both always so polite and always ask if you can use the microwave, even though you must know by now that its cool with us. And what you bring always smells SO good.

The lady with the skin disease on her face. The first time I saw you, I forced my features and voice to stay normal as I helped you and tried not to LOOK like I was looking at you too closely. The next time you came in, I didnt notice so much and now I dont notice it at all. I grew protective of you because of your niceness and polite ways and hoped no one was mean to you. We have wondered if this condition is something you developed as an adult or had to live with as a child- it would have been very difficult either way. When you got your bread one day and I offered to help you carry it, you told me your husband was waiting to help you in the car, and I felt a sense of relief and of satisfaction that you had someone to take care of you and love you and help with your bags. You are a kind and courageous lady. Thank you for allowing me to help you in your day.

All of the moms and nannies who pick up after their kids and take a break in the corner. Thank you for that- we really do notice who does and who doesnt and your politeness makes a difference.

i know there are lots more people I might thank, but for now, its bedtime for a bakerygirl.

sleep well, xxxooo bakerygirl

5 Comments:

Blogger x said...

Ah, I love this blog.
I used to work in a bakery in college, which is probably why.

3:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey you -- love the blog. hopefully one of these days we'll get a chance to catch up...

guen

5:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Decky passed me on the link.

Luff and miss you much, babe. <3

-margo

11:11 PM  
Blogger ReesieKitty said...

Thank you friends and strangers for taking the time to read about my so real it is surreal life at the bakery! I'm glad to hear that it isnt just me out there.

11:26 PM  
Blogger mer said...

you're great for this.

10:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home