Thursday, December 09, 2004

Things the bakerygirl likes

I really love Found magazine. I believe they also have a wewbsite. This guy just started collecting found notes and scraps of paper and now people mail them in to him and he publishes them and its amazing what he comes up with.

I thought about this because I opened the basement door in the bakery for the first time tonight. There is this tall good looking guy with pierced ears who works up the street and it turns out he used to be a manager here at the bakery, which I hadnt known.

We always smile and say hows it going when he stops in for juice or sodas, but he also had a cd in his hand once and I asked him what it was, he said condescendingly,

"Oh, you wouldn't know them."

Having once booked bands for a living I was a little insulted and said,

"How on earth would you know if I would or not?"

He looked surprised and showed it to me; it was an early album by the Jam. I told him who that were and that they played ska music and his eyebrows shot up and he mumbled something about how not many people were into ska music.

Weird. It later occured to me thhat maybe I ought to be flattered and he hadnt thought I was OLD enough to know who the Jam were or something? Anyway... to return to the subject at hand...

He showed up and asked if I would open up the basement door and let them store a table for the popcorn shop in our back storeroom, since it was too wide to go through their door. He went around to meet me down there and I went and opened the door. I found him convulsed with laughter at a lavender piece of paper taped to the outer side of the bakery basement door. It read:

Julio- There is no money in the bakery. There is no reason for you to break in again and try to steal anything. We know it is you! If you want to try and break in and test our NEW SECURITY SYSTEM, be my guest!

It seems a former employee had been breaking in a while back and the owner had left up this note. But the earring guy just kept cracking up and finally shook his head and said,

"Like anyone would BELIEVE that the owner would spring for A SECURITY SYSTEM!"

I am considering copying this note and sending it to Found. It was just so vehement - and so pointless.

I also really like Gingerbread Lattes. I am so very broke that I do not allow myself to enter any coffee exstablishments- thank god all my ordinary caffinated needs are being met by the bakery just now- but, mmmmm, crave...

I like Daisy Goodwin's collection of 101 Poems to get you through the Day and Night. Normally I dont care much for random poetry collections with pithy titles, but this one is not at all mawkish and has some particularly good stuff in it.

I like spinach salad with walnuts and dried cranberries and bleu cheese and that weird sweet bacon dressing that SHOULDN'T taste good, but somehow does with spinach. In fact, I just ate one.

I like my bed. It actually isnt mine- a lovely friend donated it to me when I moved, but it is SUCH a terrific bed with wrought iron and wicker panels and really sturdy with lovely firm mattresses. I sleep so well in it when I do fall asleep that I am still appreciating it.

I am reading the novel 'The Time Traveller's Wife' and I really like it. It is so well written and poignant, and all of it takes place in Chicago right during the time from when I moved here to now, so I feel a certain kindred spirit with it. Everyone go read it!

I like my piano, which I have not been able to play now for about four months. * sadness from the bakerygirl* The piano tuner only takes cash and I do not have the extra money to get it done and it is really so out of tune from being moved that playing it just now is out of the question. It sits here in the dining room and I have a bowl of apples on the bench, but I feel as if it is becoming quietly resentful of its inactivity. I want to start teaching W as well, so everyone cross your fingers for piano-tuning money in the new year.

I like lots of other things as well, but I need to do some reading before bed and so I must bid you all adieu, dear readers. Everyone go look for Found 's website and read The Time Traveller's Wife. Appreciate your comfy beds and the friends who gave them to you- ok, unlikely, but you never know- and if you have a piano or other musical insturment, play it for me!

xxxooo bakerygirl

6 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:17 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I, too, enjoyed both 'Found' and 'Time Traveller's Wife.

Have you read either of the 'Home Cooking' books by Laurie Colwin? If not, do so, soon. They are brill.

It's so sad when you look forward to going to work just for the free food and beverages. Been there. May still be there.

11:18 AM  
Blogger ReesieKitty said...

Wow, PinkKitty, that is really really sweet of you.Seriously, I am really touched, but I couldnt take random money for something like that. Donate some money to charity or toys for tots or something. I mean, I have an apartment and my son and I have food, etc. I would feel really guilty accepting anything, but I do really really appreciate the thought and the generousity behind it. Thanks, xxoo Bakerygirl

9:42 PM  
Blogger ReesieKitty said...

And no, Kristen, I havent read those, but I will put them on my library list. :) Yes, it is sad when free bread and caffine is the best reason to go to work, but at least the dysfunctional bakery family is made up of nice people. And at least it is warm and smells good when you walk in at six thirty on a December morning. Thanks for the reccomendations and the solidarity. xxxoo bakerygirl

9:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is indeed a very good bed :)

Rich.

7:25 PM  
Blogger ReesieKitty said...

Chung- and everyone else- the Found site is at: http://www.foundmagazine.com/

Richard- :)

10:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home